Horseback Riding on Kauai
Although visitor’s to Hawaii don’t usually immediately associate horses, cowboys and a ranching history with the islands, the archipelago has a long standing cowboy culture and influence. The first long horned cattle arrived on the islands in 1793 and by 1830 ranching and cattle were an important part of the Hawaiian economy. Hawaiian cowboys, called Paniolo’s, are often part of local festivals and gatherings and are a celebrated part of island culture. Horseback riding is a popular tourist activity for visitors to the island. On the island of Kauai, where only about 10% of the island is accessible by roads, horseback riding can be a great way to explore and see interior parts of the island. Here you can follow trails on horseback into pristine and unspoiled areas, and enjoy the beauty the Garden Isle has to offer.
CJM Country Stables, Koloa, HI
On the South Shore of the island, CJM Country Stables provides visitors with a great opportunity to experience the varied and diverse terrain of the island on horseback. The experienced guides share ancient and historic Hawaiian legends and local lore along the journey in the rugged Mahaleapu area of the island.
In addition to their riding opportunities, CJM also has rodeo shows featuring famous Hawaiian cowboys. To see their rodeo schedule click here.
There are 2 different rides for visitor’s interested horseback riding at CJM:
Scenic Valley Beach Ride
9:30 am and 2:00 pm.
- Most popular and shortest ride
- Goes through ancient Mahalepu area
- Variety of scenery—coastal and mountain vistas, pasture land, sand bars and streams and through groves of ironwood trees
- 2 hours
Secret Beach Picnic Ride
1:00 pm Wednesdays and Fridays only
- Small, private groups
- No swimming on this ride because of the ocean conditions, but you will arrive at a great beach destination!
- Hawaiian themed picnic at the beach
- 2 hour ride, 1 hour picnic
Silver Falls Ranch, just north of Kilauea
On the North Shore, Silver Falls Ranch also offers visitors two different rides for vacationers to enjoy.
Hawaii Discovery Ride
9 am, 9:15 am, 11:30 am, 3:30 pm (Arrive 30 mins early for a tutorial to get saddled up)
- Enjoy close up views of Makaleha Mountain Range
- Meander through a lush valley with tranquil winding waterways and tropic flora
- 90 mins
Silver Falls Ride
9 am, 11 am, 1 pm, 3 pm
- A cool refreshing ride to Silver Falls
- Ride through the Makaleha Mountain Range into Kauai’s heartland
- Stroll with your horse through a tropical botanical preserve
- Delicious picnic at the falls including teriyaki chicken (or garden burger), tropical coleslaw, island fruit juices and macadamia nut bread
Private Rides are also available