Cheap Hotels in Maui
Maui has a reputation of having a little bit of a split personality. (This is a good thing, trust me!) While not quite as busy or urban as Oahu, there are many great options for food and cultural activities on the island. Yet at the same time, those who are searching for a more laid-back experience will delight in nature activities such as watching the sunrise on Haleakala, hiking or ziplining through a rainforest preserve, or driving the winding road to Hana. With many airlines now providing direct flights to Maui, it is easier than ever to plan a vacation on Maui.
Hotels in Maui are grouped mainly in two areas: Kihei/Wailea on the South shore of the island and Lahaina/Kaanapali/Kapalua on the West shore. You will find beautiful beaches in all of these areas, but they each have their own charm so you’ll want to check out customer reviews if possible to make sure that you are choosing the hotel that best fits your budget and your vacation style.
The map below provides location information for various Maui hotels, but you may also use the widget at the bottom of the page to search for even more options. Public transportation on Maui does exist, but it is rather limited and a majority of travelers will choose to rent a car for most, if not all, of their stay. Keeping that in mind, you may also want to use the widget at the bottom of the page to search for vacation packages that include air, hotel, and a car rental, as booking them together will often save you money.
Comparing the various hotel locations on Maui
- Wailea is the true hotel epicenter of the South shore with lots of upscale options for accommodation, golf, shopping, and dining.
- Kihei is a beachy town with a slightly more casual hotel properties, often in condominiums. Prices will be slightly lower than in Wailea.
- Lahaina was once the whaling capital of the world and you’ll find charming properties near Front Street, along with lively nightlife options.
- Kaanapali is a classic resort area and you will find quite a few hotel properties there along an ocean-front strip that connects them. Expect prices slightly higher than what you see for Lahaina.
- Kapalua is famous for world-class golf and beautiful resorts. Prices in this area will be higher, but will also reflect the luxury amenities found in these properties.