Want to visit Maui, but don’t have a huge of surplus cash? For most young and/or broke travelers (the two always seem to go together unless you’re lucky enough to have a trust fund or recently came into some kind of inheritance) Hawaii has long seemed to be an off-limits destination. With Hawaii being a top tourist destination and jam packed with fancy (and expensive) hotels, it can be hard to find a comfortable place to stay without spending a ton of money. On Maui, there is a hostel that offers up clean, comfortable rooms for a fraction of the price of the nearby resorts and hotels. The Banana Bungalows in north-central Mauai at Wailuku offer not only dorm style lodging for $25/night, but also private single, double and private rooms from $60.00-$81.50/night. They even have monthly rates for those who want to spend some quality time exploring the island. Their “Surfer Special” Monthly dorm rate is only $410 (you must present owned or rented equipment to secure this rate). At that price, guests can get some quality surf time on the isle without emptying their bank accounts.
The Banana Bunglaows tote that “it’s not just lodging, it’s a lifestyle,” and the highly rated hostel lives up to its slogan. With a hot-tub, hammocks, a large game room with a pool and foosball table, grill in a large tropical garden, FREE daily tours of Maui and a friendly atmosphere, budget travelers, surfers and backpackers can’t go wrong with this fun hostel.
Banana Bungalow’s Free Daily Tours
DOWNLOAD OUR TRAVEL GUIDES
- Monday: Iao Valley State Park. Hostel guests can enjoy a rainforest hike and a swim in the sacred Iao Valley Stream
- Tuesday: All Day Hana Tour Travel the famous Road to Hana without a rental car or paying for an expensive van tour. The tour leaves at 8 am and will take hostel guests over the 40 one-lane bridges, past waterfalls and on a spectacular all day journey.
- Wednesday:West Maui and Lahaina Tour Banana Bungalows will take you to the old whaling town of Lahaina to explore the town. You can also rent snorkel gear to take a peak at some tropical fish at Kaanapali
- Thursday: Turtle Tour The tour will stop to rent snorkel gear on the way to “turtle town” where you will swim with a large group of turtles and hang out at Makena Beach
- Friday: Whale Watching or Paia Town Day If your are staying at the hostel during the winter, take an afternoon sail to the largest Pacific pod of humpback whales (additional boating cost of $24.50/person. In the summer months the tour will take you to the historic sugar can town of Paia
- Saturday:Haleakala Volcano Tour This all day tour of Hawaii’s largest mountain will take you on a drive to the summit of this 10,000 foot mountain, offering up spectacular views. Watch the incredible sunset and go for a hike in this incredible national park.
- Sunday: Makena Beach TourTake a day of relaxing beach time on Sunday and visit Maui’s beautiful Makena beach. Hidden around a lava outcropping, sunset brings a jam with people playing music and dancing on the beach
Banana Bungalow Rates
Private Single: $60/night
Private Double: $71/night
Private Triple: $81.50/night
Monthly Dorm Rate: $550
Surfer Special Monthly Rate: $410
CALL 1800-8HOSTEL to make a reservation or for more information